‘Everquote’ has been the most comprehensive and involved project of my career. Was hired as the first UX person and 3 years ago and built a department of 7 full-time employees including UX designers, graphic designers and front-end developers. In addition to the front-end responsibilities, I got the chance to name the company and come up with its logo.
Well, I say I came up with the company name. The truth is that while, technically that’s true, I had a good start. We had inherited the domain myquote.com – which I’m not linking to because it’s basically a clone of ‘Everquote’ but the branding is not maintained.
Anyway, we already owned MyQuote.com. But, We had trouble obtaining the copyright to MyQuote and, long story short, me and my design team went over hundreds of different names with the founders and settled on one that I had adapted from MyQuote. That was EverQuote.
The point of my telling you all of this is to explain why you’re seeing the logo development for MyQuote, because that was, ultimately, the development of the EverQuote logo. Below, are a series of sketches (most of them are embarassing) to show the progression. Eventually, I’ll fill in the naration. But, for the sake of getting this post up and published, we start here with a few terrible logo sketches.
Look at how terrible these sketches are! They were done rough and were 3 of maybe 12 that I played around with: differenet images, different fonts. When I do my first round of logos: I usually work in high contrast black and white. I think a well-defined silhouette is of the utmost importance in a successful logo – somewhat related to Plato’s ideal forms. Sorry if that’s overly esoteric, at some point I need to write a post about it. Regardless, this is the sketch that I responded to (as did the founders of Adharmonics/MyQuote/EverQuote)
So blocky. So blocky. I thought so too at the time, but I think I had stayed up late the night before my meeting with the founders about it, the next morning, and this was all I had in me before I fell asleep. I went back, smoothed it out and came up with some color schemes and other treatments:
I think I was angling for the color blue in this, since I rendered it twice. Also, I feel like I made the logo very male-centric, which I didn’t necessarily want to do, so wanted to show treatments where either gender (or a pair of people of either gender) could be substituted. The founders liked the idea, but we have yet to do anything with it. So, I feel like I’ve failed at making the logo inclusive of both genders. The founders expressed interest in my making versions for different verticals. They also asked me to simplify the colors a bit further; they did, in fact, like the blue.
When the copyright issue came up and we had to change the company name: I came up with a few versions of new logos, but the old version won out again. It was strange getting used to at first, but I’m really fond of the concept, so was happy we kept it. Also, adapted the Health and Life Insurance vertical logos further as well.